The lake castle of Hagenwil dates back to the 12th century and is situated two kilometers south of Amriswil. Nowadays, the castle is a private possession of a noble family. Some details of particular beauty are its chapel, its knights’ room and its guests’ sitting room.
This building characterises itself for its leaning roofs, a feature typical of eastern Switzerland’s houses. The structure was erected in 1711 and, in its origins, had the function of regional court.
The Baroque town hall of Bischofszell was erected between 1747 and 1750 by the famous architect Gaspare Bagnato.
Bischofszell castle was built in the 12th/13th century. After it had been totally destroyed by fire, in 1419 the castle was restored to its original beauty. The old bridge, constructed in late gothic style, was inaugurated in 1487. It is the oldest bridge in the entire region.
Frauenfeld castle was built in 1226 by the Counts of Kyburg. From 1534 on, it was entrusted to the cantons which had originally founded the Swiss confederation. This went on until 1803, when the castle became a possession of what is nowadays referred to as the canton Thurgau.