From 923 on, the Castle of Gruyères was the official residence of the 19 omonimous counts, who ruled over the entire Alpine region of the country. As a consequence of a difficult financial situation, the castle and its county were re-acquired by the cantons of Fribourg and Bern and were equally divided between them.
The medieval baroque town of Murten is surrounded by a circular defensive wall and is dominated by an imposing castle. Its arcades offer a very characteristic view to the visitor. It was precisely in this place that Charles the Bold was defeated by the Swiss army.
The Cathedral of St. Nicolas was erected in 1283 on the site previously occupied by the omonimous presbytery. This latter was first mentioned in 1177. The cathedral’s clock tower is precisely in the same style as the one of the Payerne and Estavayer.
The earliest mention of the Lords de Ponts was made in 1179. In the 12th and 13th century they built the «de Pont Castle», which is nowadays totally decayed, and founded a small town. Unfortunately enough, remains in the small town only the chapel, whose earliest mention was made in 1226.
Saint Laurent was built in 1379, in pure Gothic style. Thanks to the latest renovations many ancient frescoes and sculptures have been re-discovered and restored to their original fashion. Saint Laurent College is one of the most beautiful castle in Switzerland.
The Castle Rue was mentioned for the first time in 1155. Placed far away from motorways, have therefore mantained their original beauty. The castle is a private possession of the De Stoutz family.