The Old Arsenal is one of the most remarkable buildings in the entire city of Solothurn. In 1463 a structure for the custody of armours and arms and a house meant to offer shelter to spears were for the first time mentioned. In the following century, a gunsmith foundry, a gun powder mill and two arsenals, an upper and a lower one, were founded. The present Arsenal was built between 1609 and 1614.