It was for the first time mentioned in 1027, as an escape fortress. In 1096 its owners acquired the title of counts of Kyburg. By the end of the 12th century, their domain had spread all the way to the western part of Switzerland. Then, precisely at this moment their properties were acquired by the Habsburgs. From 1424 on, the castle and the whole county were taken over by Zürich.