There is little information available concerning the origins of this sumptuons structure. It is nevertheless universally agreed that the construction was begun before 1185 and that the main buildings had already been consecrated around the year 1276. The «Collegiate» is built in Romanesque style.
The Vaumarcus castle is situated on the shore of the Lake of Neuchâtel. In its origins, the castle protected and controlled the exchanges that took place, at the foot of the Jura, between the Canton Vaud and the Canton Neuchâtel, at the time still considered respectively Bernese and Prussian possessions.