This special museum, which was meant to preserve the Archives of the Swiss Confederation, was built in 1936 by the Canton of Schwyz with the help of the entire Confederation. Besides the founding Chart of the confederation, which dates back to 1291, many other important records, treaties and documents are kept in the exhibition room, a place richly adorned and embellished with sophisticated paintings.