In the 11th century the Burgundian occupied the land of Vaud and, precisely on this occasion they built a wooden castle in Nyon. Around 1130 Humbert de Cossonay directed the construction of the present castle in Romanesque style. In the 14th century the two round towers facing the lake were added to the original structure.
This fortified mansion was in the first place a hunting seat in this region of the Jura particularly rich in wild animals. From time to time, nevertheless, the lords of Raymontpierre occupied this elegant building.
This red sandstone gate was constructed during the 14th century. In its origin it belonged to the exterior belt of fortification surrounding Basel. Thanks to this gate, Basel and Alsace could communicate with each other and this contributed to improve the commercial exchanges between Switzerland and France.
Masterpiece of Swiss late Gothic style, this cathedral represents the real center of Bern. The main part was erected in the years going from 1420 to 1469. The other buildings were gradually added in the course of the 19th century.
The first town hall was built in 1435 and then demolished in 1741 because of financial problems. The present town hall was erected in 1742 and consequently extended in 1868. The addition of a third floor, unfortunately enough, has in many ways spoiled the building’s aesthetic beauty.
The central tower was erected during the 11th century. The castle was remarkably then enlarged first by the Habsburgs, during the 14th century, and by the Bernese who conquered Aargau in 1415. This building, which is the biggest fortification in canton Aargau, is situated on a steep cliff.
Proceeding from the right to the left, around the Venner fountain, a monument constructed in 1546, you can observe the following buildings: the Peacock’s Inn, built in 1724, the late gotic presbitery of St. Benedict, built in 1451, the Forestry’s Inn, built in 1561 and the Ring House 18, built in 1618.
The construction of this fortification was begun after the Suabian wars, which means more or less around 1504. It is interesting to notice that the square gate is protected on both sides by two round towers.
The Old Arsenal is one of the most remarkable buildings in the entire city of Solothurn. In 1463 a structure for the custody of armours and arms and a house meant to offer shelter to spears were for the first time mentioned. In the following century, a gunsmith foundry, a gun powder mill and two…
The Federal Parliament in Bern is the official seat of the Swiss Government. Under the central dome, in two separate rooms, is the home of both National Council with 200 members and the State Council «Ständerat» with 46 members. The western part of the building was built between 1852 and 1857, followed by the eastern…
There is little information available concerning the origins of this sumptuons structure. It is nevertheless universally agreed that the construction was begun before 1185 and that the main buildings had already been consecrated around the year 1276. The «Collegiate» is built in Romanesque style.