Frauenfeld Castle

Frauenfeld castle was built in 1226 by the Counts of Kyburg. From 1534 on, it was entrusted to the cantons which had originally founded the Swiss confederation. This went on until 1803, when the castle became a possession of what is nowadays referred to as the canton Thurgau.

“zur Treib” house

It was for the first time mentioned in 1482 as a shelter for boatsmen. In 1658 the house was entirely destroyed by fire and consequently rebuilt in its present shape. From 1637 to 1767 the building gave hospitality to 72 federal assemblies, attended mainly by members of the three original Cantons, founders of the Swiss…

William Tell’s Chapel

The chapel dedicated to William Tell is situated on the shore of the Lake of Lucerne, between Sisikon and Flüelen. It’s fresco painting were created around 1880 by Ernst Stückelberg from Basle. These portray important moments in the life of the Swiss national hero such as for example the oath on the Rütli, the shot…

Olympic Museum

Inaugurated in June 1993, the Olympic Museum in Lausanne is the world’s largest center of information concerning the Olympic movement. Its external architecture is reminiscent of ancient Greece. The whiteness of its walls, faced with Thasos marble, symbolizes purity, fair play and also the brightness of the Mediterranean sun.  Inside the 3000 year history of…

Madonna del Sasso Sanctuary

This national sanctuary is a very frequented place of pilgrimage in Ticino. In this place the Virgin is said to have appeared to a Franciscan monk in 1480. In the following year, 1481, the first chapel was built, and then gradually enlarged until 1663, when it finally became a convent. Until 1848 it was occupied…