The Wengernalp railway links Lauterbrunnen to Grindelwald through the Kleine Scheidegg. This cog railway first entered into service in 1893. The Kleine Scheidegg is at the same time the starting point of the very famous Jungfraubahn (another cog railway) which leads to the highest railway station all over Europe, the Jungfraujoch, 11331 fasl (3454 masl).
The new railway station has been built following the typical chalet style typical of the region. It is situated on the international railway line Bern-Lötschberg-Simplon at an altitude of 3195 fasl (974 masl).
This house has a roof with two pitches, which sticks out of every side and still has, in the valleys, the typical covering with planks with big stones on it. The wooden beams, the supports and the structure of the roof are finely worked and decorated. It is the house that made the typical chalet…
Unfortunately enough, when the railway line Bouveret–Sion was opened in 1860, a difficult financial situation rendered it impossible to build a railway station in Sion. The present station building was inaugurated in 1960. The entire complex covers a surface of 3550 m2.
The lake castle of Hagenwil dates back to the 12th century and is situated two kilometers south of Amriswil. Nowadays, the castle is a private possession of a noble family. Some details of particular beauty are its chapel, its knights’ room and its guests’ sitting room.
This building characterises itself for its leaning roofs, a feature typical of eastern Switzerland’s houses. The structure was erected in 1711 and, in its origins, had the function of regional court.
The Baroque town hall of Bischofszell was erected between 1747 and 1750 by the famous architect Gaspare Bagnato.
Bischofszell castle was built in the 12th/13th century. After it had been totally destroyed by fire, in 1419 the castle was restored to its original beauty. The old bridge, constructed in late gothic style, was inaugurated in 1487. It is the oldest bridge in the entire region.
This building, constructed in late baroque style, with its external double stairs, was erected between 1792 and 1795, according to the plans drawn by Niklaus Emanuel Ringier. The pieces of furniture furnishing the building are in Louis XVI style and the stucco ceilings have been realized by Franz Georg Rust.
This building was erected around 1770. Since 1949 the mansion has been put under the protection of a preservation order. In 1863 the palace was acquired by the Bank of Zofingen and, after 1935, it has become the property of the Swiss Bank Corporation (then merged together with UBS).
The new Lauenen school in the Bernese Oberland is located south of the famous and well-known winter sports resort of Gstaad.
The sharp and irregular roofs typical of Appenzeller’s houses are a truthful proof of the baroque style still influencing the entire region. This characteristic landscape functions as a background to the traditional “Landsgemeinde” of the citizens inhabiting the Inner Rhoden, an event that takes place precisely in this context.