Since the mid 9th century a building has been present on this land. In the sixteenth century a royal resthouse was then constructed which has fortunately maintained its beauty until today.
The typical Grisons holiday house is a massive stone building with a large roof, small windows and a large entrance door as usually two families lived under one roof. The window frames, arches and corners of the doors of the building are decorated with so called “graffiti”, consisting of floral, geometric of heraldic ornamental shapes.…
The town hall in Schwyz presents various styles, dating back to different periods in Swiss history. Nevertheless, in this building all of these styles coexist side by side in a very harmonious way. The town hall was erected in the second half of the 17th century.
This special museum, which was meant to preserve the Archives of the Swiss Confederation, was built in 1936 by the Canton of Schwyz with the help of the entire Confederation. Besides the founding Chart of the confederation, which dates back to 1291, many other important records, treaties and documents are kept in the exhibition room,…
This church was restored to its original beauty during the 15th century. Two of its main characteristics are the choir, which reaches the same length of the church itself, and the leaning arch. The painting of its walls was done following five distinct stages.
It was built in 1953 by the “Union de Patrouilles alpines de la division de montagne 10” in the Avençon Valley, above Bex, at 2262 m.a.s.l.
This house, which dates back to 1761, is the oldest building that has remained in Goldau. Fortunately this ancient farm survived the terrible mountain slide that fell in 1860. Nowadays this structure has been transformed into a well-known restaurant.
This beautiful castle, with its tower on the water, lies on the right shore of the lake of Thun, in the Bernese Oberland. It dates back to the 13th century and hosts a museum representing furniture culture between 16th and 19th century. The castle’s park, created in 1840, is considered one of the most beautiful…
The Schnitzturm in Stansstad, built on a promontory emerging from the sea, was one of the main defences against northern attacks. Although the building was erected on soil belonging to Canton Nidwalden, two-thirds of the Schnitzturm are a possession of the Canton Obwalden.
The Winkelried monument is situated on the town hall square in Stans and is dedicated to the courageous hero who fought in the bloody Battle of Sempach in 1386 and who, through the sacrifice of his own life, converted the battle into a victory for the Swiss Army.
Typical barns in wood with stone roofs. They are built on piles with a flat, wide stone on the top in order to keep rodents from entering.
The Castle of Thun was built at the end of the 12th century. The four round towers in norman style were subrequently annexed to the Romanesque central square tower, whose walls reach a thickness of 4 meters. From 1429 the building was the official residence of the Bernese bailiffs.