Originally built in 1872 as the international reform school “La Châtelaine”, it was later used from 1917 to 1918 as a shelter for young French and Belgian victims of the First World War. In 1924 it was converted into the renowned Geneva Carlton Hotel. In 1941 it was transformed by the Swiss Red Cross into the Henry Dunant Center and in 1946 it finally became the headquarters of the International Committee of the Red Cross.