This first west gate of the city was erected  around 1191. The extraordinary play of performing figures, the astronomical clock and the hour striker were added later in 1527–30 by the artist Kaspar Brunner. The various operations of reconstruction of the tower took place during different periods. First from 1467 to 1483, then from 1770 to 1771 and, finally, in 1930.